Lasagna Gardening

Lasagna gardening refers to a method of layering materials in the garden bed, hence lasagna. There is a book about it I found years ago called, Lasagna Gardening, can't think of the author's name right now. Patricia something. The no digging, no tilling, no weeding, no kidding hooked me right in. To start your garden layer cardboard box and/or newspaper right over the grass or weeds. No need to use plastic; that hinders drainage and all the little anaerobic activity going on. Over the newspaper layer compost, leaves, stuff you sweep up, twigs anything organic....no pet poop though. Wet down each layer as you go and just keep adding to your bed. The pefect time to start is in fall when leaves are plentiful and you can just let the bed "cook" until spring. But it's so simple and a reliable way to garden you can start anytime. I put down a bunch of newspaper on my existing bed yesterday with about 4 inches of leaves saved all winter long in bags. I will continue to layer until it settles very little. My beds are raised about 10 inches. I usually add a bedding mix from Calloway's that contains expanded shale which helps maintain the moisture leve. Just e me with any questions you might have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Falling Into Fall

The State of our Union

Life's a Hoot!