Happy New Year Part 1

Happy New Year? Part 1? Yes, I have been away for a long while and so much has happened. I'm breaking it up into 2 parts to try to explain all the crazy, wonderful and yes, painful things that have happened too. It's been crazy around the Brod Abode since the holidays and hasn't let up for a moment. But, all is good.


Once the holidays were over I always leave up our decorations until 12th Night or the Epiphany. I enjoy them so much more after the holidays it seems because there is a bit more time to relax and focus. I planned to take them down starting on the 6th. For those of you who occasionally read my occasional blogs, our family had a major challenge handed to us last summer. Hubs, Mr. Mike, who has been a pharmacist for nearly 40 years lost his job at Express Scripts. Yeppers, they just closed the entire place down in June. This put hundreds of pharmacists and pharmacy techs out of work in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Which means those who found jobs in this area were very fortunate. Many did not, including my husby. Long story short, Walmart hired him to open a new store/pharmacy for them in the city of Grandview which is a couple of hours away from us. We bought a lovely, used 5th wheel and he moved down there on December 26 and opened the store on January 21. This has been a hard time for us. After being married for 40 plus years the separation has been a real challenge but we are surviving. So decorations have stayed up a bit longer because I don't have my ladder climbing, attic climbing monkey to help out. He does get to come home every 2 weeks but we've had quite a few interruptions in the meantime.


The first thing to happen was hip surgery for my mom on January 7th. She did very well and we are so thankful she was able to have replacement and recover so quickly. She was in the hospital for 3 days and then was able to come home. My mom, who is 81, still lives alone and does very well until all of her hip problems began a few years ago. Her quality of life definitely suffered but we finally convinced her to see a doctor and get something done. My brother took off 5 weeks from work (he's worked for American Airlines FOREVER) and stayed with Mom for 3 weeks until I took over. She did so well, improving daily and knocking OT and PT out of the park. We are so proud of her and so thankful she is getting back to her old self. She is a blast to be around and we love to do stuff together. I took her to the doctor for her 6 week check up and the doctor released her to do almost everything. Still no bending over or lifting. I had planned to come home during the days but still go back up for a few nights off and on. Mike was in that weekend so I wanted to be able to spend some time with him. But I was going back up to Mom's that night. Not ready to let go yet, LOL. And then I got a text from #2 son......... to be continued
.
A few Christmas pictures!



  1. Bubble lights and Salt Glazed Santa collection.

Three hours after hip replacement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The State of our Union

Falling Into Fall

Life's a Hoot!