The State of our Union

Tomorrow Mike and I will celebrate our first date 41 years ago! He didn't remember the right date when I asked him as men are sometimes want to do. I'll let it slide this time. Who knew 41 years ago when he took me to feast at Pancho's Mexican Buffet (all you can eat for $1.49) and then to one of the most lovely older theaters in Dallas that would be it for both of us. II can't remember the name of the theatre but it was elegant and beautiful. And I could still climb stairs without screaming in pain. We saw The Godfather. There were embarrassing parts and the violence and language was so colorful for a simple 17 year old like me but it was a good movie, to say the least. We had a nice time. That summer I was kind of dating around (that sounds weird) but after that night I never went out with or looked at another guy. Mike and I had known each other for several years. He and I both worked at King's Rexall in Lewisville. We had our first fight there. He worked in the pharmacy (shades of things to come) and I worked the lunch counter there. Remember those? Best food ever. He asked me to fix him a grilled ham and cheese which I did and then all HE did was complain about it. I refused to speak to him for 2 more years. And, the rest is history. So if we had known on July 28, 1972 that we would have a lovely daughter in law (and 2 onery boys) celebrating her birthday on the 29th of July we would not have believed it. As I grow older and more broken down and older and....... things like that have a very special meaning now. What if we could have seen our future then on the big screen rather than The Godfather? Would we have changed plans or done things different educationally? I don't know but a year and a month later we would be married. August 18, 1973. Mike was 20 years old and had is sights set on pharmacy school and I was 18 prepared to get my PHT (put hubby through). And 6 1/2 years later we would have our Joshua Michael and 2 years later our Jordan William. And many years later our sweet Lauren Nicole. Times have not always been smooth. Pretty darn rocky in fact but God has blessed this union that He saw fit for creation and for that, and many more things, I am truly grateful. Even if Mike doesn't remember the exact day. Or the fact that I try at all costs to avoid stairs now. Or that we would serve on the same volunteer fire department for a combined total of 25+ years. Or that this evening I would be sitting out on a gorgeous patio next to my koi pond which hubs built for me in a labor of love. Tomorrow is a special day. The true beginning. Not the grilled cheese episode for which he is still majorly wrong about. And here we are.......

Comments

  1. Brought a tear to my eye! This is beautiful Deb and I love your story! Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Falling Into Fall

Life's a Hoot!